Do You Know What Is In Your Face Makeup?
Thursday, August 8, 2019 Julia Gellman
Ugh, it is that time again. Have to get up and get out of bed, make breakfast and get ready to start your day. Unfortunately for 41% of the American population between the ages of 30 and 59 years old, this also means putting on makeup.
So, the question is. Do you really know what is in your favorite makeup product? That one mascara you can’t live without, or the concealer that covers it all? Ever stop and think about what kind of toxins or chemicals you are putting on your face, eyes, nose, and lips, everyday?
Well, let me break it down like this. U.S. researchers found that… “one in eight of the 82,000 ingredients used in personal care products are industrial chemicals, including carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, and hormone disruptors.”
Here are the top 5 most commonly found toxins in everyday makeup brands:
- BHA (Beta-Hydroxy Acid): This chemical when exposed to the skin can cause a severe allergic reaction. It has also been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer to be considered a possible carcinogen. Some makeup brands that still use this ingredient are Drunk Elephant, Pacifica, Murad.
- DEA (diethanolamine): This chemical is found in many soaps, shampoos, and moisturizers because it is used to make the products sudsy or soapy. Studies show that when exposed to this chemical in large amounts, it has been known to cause liver cancer, or precancerous changes to the exposed area. It is most commonly found in shampoos, moisturizers or creams.
- Parabens: This chemical is the most well known cosmetic preserver on the market and is used in small amounts in almost every type of makeup product. The deadliest fact about Parabens is that they are also considered “fragrance ingredients.” These ingredients will not be listed on the back of the product. This is because it is considered to be somewhat of an “old family recipe” and other companies can steal certain ingredients to mimic the scents. Parabens easily penetrate the skin and are known to combat normal hormone function and have been found in human breast cancer tissues. Some very common makeup brands that contain parabens are Olay or some of the Aveeno moisturizing products.
- PEGS (polyethylene glycols): This chemical is used as a base in most cosmetic cream brands. It is commonly found to contain another chemical called ethylene oxide which is known as a human carcinogen and to negatively effect the central nervous system. This ingredient is most commonly found in hair dyes and mousses
- Siloxanes: This is a silicon-based chemical used to add moisture and soften skin in deodorant and hair products. Siloxanes can also be found in lubricants, windshield coatings, and building sealants. The two active ingredients that makeup this chemical is cyclotetrasiloxane and cylcopentasiloxane. These are known to interfere with normal human hormone function. Studies have shown they could possibly stun or impair human fertility as well. This ingredient is found mostly in foundations, powders, blushes, eyeshadows, and facial moisturizers.
With dwindling regulations allowing for not all ingredients needing to be listed on the back of the product, the world of cosmetics has gone from safe and innocent to potentially harmful and dangerous. Check out this website (https://www.skincarisma.com/) where you can search for any specific makeup brand or product and find out the ingredients of that “one favorite mascara”. Its never too early to worry about your daily beauty routine. Find out now.
Work With OSEAContact Us Today!