Being Prepared to Camp Safely in Any Weather
Sunday, August 18, 2019 Natalie Salem
The past weekend, for the first time in a very long time (about 15 years), I went tent camping. I didn’t go very far from home, and I drastically overpacked, but despite that I was still lacking some essentials and didn’t account for many things which is why you always need to be prepared for any situation.
Despite overpacking, I still lacked some basic necessities that you should always bring with you camping. Some things you should always have on hand are as follows.:
- No matter how warm you think it’s going to be, always prepare for very cold weather (about 20 degrees less than what the weather forecast is). This is in case it rains, snows, sleets, or hails, you have clothing that will keep you warm.
- Always bring a flashlight or headlamp. Trying to navigate into a tent and then into your sleeping bag in the pitch black (especially with no light pollution), is a tough task.
- Along with your sleeping bag, make sure you bring a sleeping pad or something you can sleep on so you aren’t actually sleeping on the ground. This can definitely save those aches and pains in your back and neck the next day.
- If you happen to forget your pillow, take the bag that your sleeping bag is stored in, stuff it with your clothes, and now you have your own pillow.
- Multipurpose tool – such as a pocket knife or swiss army knife.
- Lastly, never forget your bug spray, sunscreen, and Chapstick. These can definitely save you from becoming very uncomfortable!
Always remember to be safe, stay on the designated path, and don’t push yourself past your limits.
Work With OSEAContact Us Today!