OSEA Safety News

Don't Let your Summer Go Up in Flames!

Tuesday, May 30th, 2017

Don’t let your summer go up in flames!

The summer barbecue is something we all look forward to. Don’t be one of the 7000 Americans injured by your grill this year. Here are some easy tips to follow when using your propane or gas grill:

DO:

  • Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your house.
  • Clean your grill regularly – remaining drippings can cause sparks and therefore flames and fire.
  • Clean out the trays underneath for grease or ashes, scrape the drippings off the diffuser tents.
  • Check for gas leaks in your propane tank.
  • Keep a spray bottle of water handy to disseminate minor flare ups.
  • Have a fire extinguisher handy in case of fire – know how to use it and inspect it before your grilling season starts.
  • Keep children and pets away from the grill area.

DON’T:

  • Turn on the gas while the grill lid is closed.
  • Leave the grill unattended – A flare up can erupt quickly and there goes dinner. You will be ordering pizza and spending some time cleaning up the mess.
  • Overload your grill with food especially fatty meats.
  • Use a grill indoors – even a small one. You need the fresh air for sufficient circulation. Using a grill indoors can lead to carbon monoxide exposure.

Following these easy tips will ensure a delicious and safe barbecue for you and your guests!

Bon Appetit!

Work Safe. Work Smart. Work With OSEA. CONTACT US