Grant Information Update!
Wednesday, November 7th, 2018
Grant Season will be upon us soon! The NYS Hazard Abatement Board general puts out the RFP between Thanksgiving and the first week of Decemeber. At this time we do not have information regarding the due date and scope of the upcoming grant. Below, you will find the grant information sheet which details the general information pertaining to the HAB Grant. When more details are available, they will be posted on the OSEA.com website:
- The goal of the HAB grant program is to promote safe and healthful conditions in the workplace through training, education, and other proven preventive programs designed to:
- Identify, evaluate, and control safety and health hazards in the workplace;
- Encourage voluntary compliance with occupational safety and health regulations;
- Foster activities to prevent workplace accidents, injuries and illnesses; and
- Make employers and employees aware of the NY State right-to-know laws and regulations.
WHAT SERVICES CAN OSEA PROVIDE FOR THE GRANT?
- Packaging the entire application or assisting the process.
- Completing a needs assessment and training matrix.
- Contract with you, upon approval of the grant, to provide approved services. You always have the choice to contract with OSEA or other firms.
WHAT IS THE COST TO HAVE OSEA ASSIST WITH THE GRANT?
No charge, with the stipulation that, if you are awarded this grant, OSEA will be your sole vendor for services. If you choose another vendor, OSEA will charge a $1,000 fee for grant support. There is no charge for unsuccessful grant applications.
WHAT KIND OF PROJECTS ARE SUPPORTED UNDER THE GRANT?
- General or hazard specific training on how to identify, evaluate and control employee exposure to workplace hazards.
- Activities to improve the effectiveness of labor-management safety & health committees.
- Programs designed specifically to reduce workplace accidents.
- Programs addressing ergonomic and repetitive motion problems.
- Programs emphasizing disease prevention.
- Employee/employer instruction on their rights and responsibilities under the NYS Right to Know Law and OSHA/PESH standards on Hazard Communication, chemical hazards in laboratories, and specific substances such as lead and benzene.
- Programs which help resolve unique and unusually difficult job safety and health problems, such as the threat of assault on the job.
EXAMPLE TRAINING TOPICS INCLUDE: (to be identified during the assessment):
Trenching & Excavation
Personal Protective Equipment
Forklift Safety Hazardous material Transportation
OSEA has packaged and submitted grant applications on behalf of hundreds of clients including private industry, municipalities and agencies since 1991. If we can be of assistance with your grant, or you would like to hear more about the program, visit http://www.osea.com/training/nys-grants/, give us a call at 716-821-0091, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT’S NEW WITH HAB GRANTS?
The application will be completed AND submitted online through the Grants Gateway. If you are not already registered in the Grants Gateway system, please complete and send Grants Gateway Registration Form following the directions on page 2.
If you are already registered in the Grants Gateway system:
- Ensure your documents (i.e. insurance certificates) are current.
- Designate OSEA as a “Grantee” in your organization on Grants Gateway so that we may begin writing your grant on your behalf. To designate OSEA, follow the steps in Delegation Authority Setup. Use the following information for delegation:
-‘First Name’: OSEA
-‘Last Name’: OSEA
EVALUATION CRITERIA FOR GRANT APPLICATIONS
The evaluation process takes into consideration the target group or high-risk population to be reached by the project. Examples are:
- Industries, workplaces or occupations in which employees are exposed to serious health hazards, such as toxic chemicals, high noise levels, or infectious agents.
- Industries, occupations or other specific groups of workers with elevated injury or illness rates.
- Small employers, local unions, or non-union worker populations who lack occupational safety & health resources.
- New or inexperienced workers such as teenagers.
- Prior performance under HAB grants
- IMPORTANT-The Board has placed added emphasis on evidence of some risk assessment in determining the training requested. Factors include incidence and severity of injuries and illness, number receiving training, uniqueness of proposed program, and involvement of the target groups. You will need to note how you determined the need for training topics included in the grant application – OSEA can assist if needed.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO HAVE THE GRANT RFP SUBMITTED?
The completed applications will be due within the Grants Gateway in January 27, 2017
WHEN WILL I KNOW IF WE HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE GRANT?
The grant board determines approval each Spring. If awarded, department staff will contact you in the summer to prepare draft contracts, which are due on August 1st of the year of the grant awarded.
WHAT IS THE DURATION OF TIME FOR THE GRANT WHEN APPROVED?
The grant projects are funded for the period from August 1st through July 31st of the following year.
HOW DO WE WORK WITH OSEA AFTER THE GRANT IS APPROVED?
During your contract negotiations you would sign a contract with OSEA as the sub-contractor to fulfill the provisions of the grant for you. The provisions are generally training and activities that support training. This can be for management as well as for workplace staff. OSEA INC. is a NYS Woman Owned Business. The Hazard Abatement Board looks favorably upon using minority owned business or Woman Owned Businesses.